Carp Anglers Group Forums

Phone Bush an update

Alan

My wife finished a year of chemo and radiation last fall and I know how evil this disease is.  I give my sincere best wishes to Phone and his family.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Deeply saddened to share this…

William “Bill” Warder, 80, passed away Monday, July 12, 2021, at St. Luke’s Northland Hospital. Bill was born April 20, 1941, in Independence, MO to Robert Lee and Lucille Jeanette (Ward) Warder. Bill was a graduate of the William Crisman High School in Independence. He was owner/operator of Air Freight Central located at the Kansas City International Airport for over 30 years, until his retirement. For many years, Bill was an active member of the Weston, MO community, and will be fondly remembered as an enthusiastic umpire by the local ball players and fans. He was a member of the Weston Masonic Lodge #53 A.F. & A.M. and was an avid fisherman and golfer. Bill was preceded in death by his parents; and his first wife Phyllis (Reeves) Warder. He is survived by his current wife Natalyia Valentinovna Denisova; his children Kristie Reese of Phoenix, AZ, Brooke (Eric) Mosier of Weston, Meghan (Dave) Lowry of Fernandina Beach, FL, Jay (Tracie) Warder of Maryville, MO, and Elizabeth Warder of K.C., MO; grandchildren G. Brandt (Lauren) Schlick, G. Benjamin (Jessica) Schlick, G. Baxter Schlick, Whitney D. Warder, Jenson R. Lowry, Devin J. Lowry, and William R. Lowry; great grandchildren, (who called him “The Wizard”), Dexter Schlick, Liberty Schlick, Marlowe Schlick, Rylan Gardner, Blake Gardner, Adam Schlick, Lucas Schlick, Jacob Schlick, Remi Moran, River Moran, Rhrett Moran, Aria Moran, Piper Moran, Jax Moran and Avery Hamrick; brother Robert A. (Dora) Warder of Raymore, MO; and numerous cousins, nieces, nephews, and extended family and friends. Following cremation, a memorial service will be held at a later date. Memorial contributions can be given to the Weston Sports Association in c/o Shane Davis.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes Buzzbomb, there was a photograph on here of Bill sitting in a blue chair, rod by his side, and turning his head round to smile at the cameraman. The thread was about  organising a fish-in as a tribute to him if I remember correctly.

Took a bit searching, but found a couple pics of Phone on the original CAG website(that was once maintained by the infamous Oatmeal Jack) from 2002 here:

phone1.jpg phone2.jpg

Phonebush & Phonebush with grandson Brandt

http://www.geocities.ws/cyprioman/Fishins/OK2002/OK2002.htm

I was fortunate enough to meet Bill on a couple different occasions, and he was quite the character(online and in person) that will be missed.

Edited by pacarper

16 hours ago, buzzbomb said:

Zebco 33 and an Ugly Stick.

One must start somewhere. My wife wishes, after looking at my carp gear, that I was still starting!

Many thanks for the photos and the kind words about Phone. Curious, anyone know how he got his "name?"

16 hours ago, (TN) Cannonball said:

Curious, anyone know how he got his "name?"

It went something like… he was struggling for a poster name when the phone in front of him and the bush outside the window supplied the answer.

Here’s a classic from AnglersNet…

Hi all (again)

Oldtimers will remember me as Phonebush.

I got booted from my usual haunt on CAG (USA forum) from member status to guest status. Not much a "guest" can do on CAG so I thought I'd "catch up" on your side of the pond. Usually pay my CAG dues at an event but haven't been able to go to a single one this year. To old to start messing with money transfers on the internet. It's like electricty - don't trust what you can't see.

Anyway, I'll stumble around a bit and not doubt "say something" as I use shoepolish with toothpaste in it. Serves two purposes when I have my foot in my mouth.

Phone

Posted July 24, 2011

On 10/20/2021 at 8:52 AM, (TN) Cannonball said:

One must start somewhere. My wife wishes, after looking at my carp gear, that I was still starting

Ha ha, unless memory fails, the Zebco 33, Uglystick, and #4 snelled hook was what Phone used and recommended for starters and finishers alike.  Just a quirk I remembered, although what he is probably known for worldwide is his White Paper.  He had me adding brewer's yeast to boilies for the chitin for awhile.

Edited by buzzbomb

• 2 months later...

Very sad indeed, phone was certainly a unique character, I think he enjoyed carp fishing banter, probably more than carp fishing. His sense of humour was  classic, the world will be a duller place without him.

RIP Phonebush