Carp Anglers Group Forums

FFF 2022

• 2 weeks later...

After a rainy morning I got my gear together and headed out in dead calm, 54 degree weather.  Unheard of around here on January first.  Nothing is frozen around here either, also unheard of.  Not giving myself much of a chance of success due to prior January experiences, I didn't mix up any pack, just taking bread and sweet corn for bait.  It took an hour and a half, but I had a run on bread that resulted in a 3lb-15oz common.  That little fish made me quite happy.  That makes me "blankless" for 2022 (haha), a trend that I hope will continue through the new year.  I also had a short beep on sweet corn.  Now I wish I had mixed up some pack bait.

Edited by Ken

It was an amazing day of fishing for Brid Caveney and I during the FFF! We had been set up at a lake in Texas for 3 days prior to the FFF and had been baiting a spot heavily to feed off the hordes of catfish, shad, and other nuisance fish in hopes of a big carp. The baiting had worked, and we had been on a good run of fish up until the 31st. Brid and I had even caught a rare Texas mirror carp each prior to today. 

The start of the new year was a loud one for us with fireworks going off all around us, with the booms shaking the ground and echoing across the lake. Sleep was eventually had, until I had a screaming alarm wake-up call at 3am with my first fish of the new year. It turned out to be a pretty 22lb 8oz common. I re-casted my rods and went back to bed. 

The previous few days we had seen a lot of crashes, and some really big ones, right at first light. For this reason I was up at 6:45am watching the water before the sun started coming up. I had been watching for about 20 minutes when I had a screaming take on one of my rods which had been set on the edge of the baited area. 

I lifted into the fish and there was absolutely no stopping it. My heart began racing as the swim has many treacherous snags which had caused lots of lost gear and fish over the course of the session. The fish took several hard runs, ripping drag and kiting far over my other lines, but luckily she stayed up in the water away from the snags. It seemed like the fish was never going to get close to me but after a long tug of war I had her almost close enough to see. At this point in the battle I thought the fish was a good one, but what I saw when the fish’s tail came out of the water and powerfully slapped against the surface was something I will never forget. It was the biggest carp I had ever seen on the end of my line. 

My heart was in my chest as I carefully guided her into the net. When she crossed the net cord I knew I had a very special fish but when I lifted the net out of the water I was completely certain that this was my personal best. On the Reubens she weighed 42lbs 6oz, smashing my personal best by over 5lbs. Brid did a great job with the photos. This was one of the most flawless carp I have ever seen, just a perfect specimen. 

IMG_4848.jpg

IMG_4921.jpg

Next it was Brid’s turn. Brid was packing up and had nearly all of his rods out of the water when we heard his baitrunner screaming off! He lifted into the fish and right off the bat it was fighting extremely hard. Twice the fish made such a hard run at the bank we thought the fish was lost. As Brid guided it close I was amazed to see giant apple slice scales, another mirror! This was the biggest mirror of the session and the third one for us this trip from a lake that in the past has produced very few mirrors for us.

DSC_0168 4.jpg

After a busy morning it was a relatively quiet day with only a few interruptions by catfish, turtles, and a big gizzard shad. The sunset was spectacular and capped off a wonderful day bankside for the first time in 2022!

Edited by texascarpguide
Fixed pictures

Brian Verbitskey

Pennsylvania

With the rain being not stop this past week causing most river spots I wanted to fish for the FFF to be unfishable I decided with a little lake that had some decent fish in it for my first fish of the year. I was not disappointed with the outcome of my decision. Even better yet I was trying out some boilies and new liquid foods I had made that really seemed to work a treat. I wish everyone a happy new year and good luck to everyone in the coming months as we get through this winter. 🙂👍 

brians_01.jpg

brians_02.jpg

brians_04.jpg

brians_03.jpg

brians_05.jpg

Edited by Brian Verbitskey

I might do a complete article on this session, as it's the culmination of over five years of hard work...

After years and years of searching, I found a winter holding area on a river I frequently fish. About a week ago, I was blessed to find a second! I decided to give this new spot a try on January 1. The fog was eerie while I set up, it looked like I was fishing off the end of the world! After only a few minutes my left rod screamed off. I picked it up only to discover that the drag on my reel had broken! I had to handline the fish for half the fight... after many near-losses, my first ever wild river fantail carp was in the net, and a beautiful 20lb specimen at that! After a few more hours of fishing I was also surprised with another amazing carp, a thick 28lb brute! Now, all I need is a January 30+!

AC70C9C5-69E8-4FEC-B678-4402A2533DB0.jpeg

IMG_2567.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

IMG_2559.jpg

And... WOW, impressive job texascarpguide! I believe that the previous all-time FFF big fish record was only 34lb 4oz, caught many years ago by Shawn Rafter in NY. You undoubtedly are now the FFF big fish king!

On 1/1/2022 at 5:38 PM, Ken said:

After a rainy morning I got my gear together and headed out in dead calm, 54 degree weather.  Unheard of around here on January first.  Nothing is frozen around here either, also unheard of.  Not giving myself much of a chance of success due to prior January experiences, I didn't mix up any pack, just taking bread and sweet corn for bait.  It took an hour and a half, but I had a run on bread that resulted in a 3lb-15oz common.  That little fish made me quite happy.  That makes me "blankless" for 2022 (haha), a trend that I hope will continue through the new year.  I also had a short beep on sweet corn.  Now I wish I had mixed up some pack bait.

Only 999 to go! Good fishing!

It seems the whole eastern seaboard was foggy.  It was foggy here, and my son said it was foggy in Georgia as well.

Congrats on your good start to 2022 with those two distinctive fish.  Certainly a good omen.