Carp Anglers Group Forums

McCoy Mean Green

Shawn Woerlein

I see Paul is now carrying McCoy Mean Green line :D Good deal paul. When I"m done with my 2400yd spool, you'll get an order from me. This stuff is awesome gang. At least buy a small spool and try it. You won't be disapointed.

It is one of the better Co-Polymer lines out there, not sure what co-polymer means exactly but it seems to hold up to abrasions for its size a lot better then most mono lines. I think I recall a couple of Flathead guys turned a couple of us on to it. They use it a lot fishing for very large and powerful fish that like to make homes in the nastiest log jams you can find.

Not saying it is head and shoulders better then anything else out there, but for the price, if I was faced with landing that fish of a lifetime on lighter lines ( I don't use heavy braids except for shock leader ) I would feel a lot better with mean Green on.

I don't have any technical data to rely on, only personal experience. I've fished about every line imaginable. All I fished for before 3 years ago was Walleye and smallmouth bass. I've fished mono, flourocarbon, hybrids, co-polymars, braids, etc...... Mean Green doesn't break off 1/2 way up the line like other co-polymars. The abrasian resistance is unusually high, and the knot strength (IMO) is far better than any other line I've tried. The true test I gave it was fishing it last winter in Lockport. The air temps were 14 F. Brand new spool of Mean Green. Not once did I have any coil in the line in cold weather. It remained limp and didn't stiffen at all.

The only downfall I've seen in this line is the availability. Never used to be able to find the stuff. But now......I turned a dealer onto it here in Ohio, and he can't keep it in stock now. Sells out very quickly to the cat/carp/saugeye/bass guys. Not a problem finding it now......as Wacker carries it. I've seen what Wholesale is on this line....(I used to get mine for a buck or two over it)......and Paul has a VERY minimal markup on it. Not making crap off it at all.

They have been around for years, but have been a small market. They don't produce in extremely large quantities like Stren, Berkley, etc. So there is more attention paid to what is being made (that is a positive).