Carp Anglers Group Forums

Lots of credit card fraud recently

Spoon

Question

Several carp anglers (including myself) have had their credit cards used fraudulently within last few weeks or days. I found out about this from Facebook. I had not used my card for a few months. Is it a coincidence that several carp angler were hit in a short time period, or has someone hacked CAG or an online tackle store?

• Answers 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

All THREE of my cards were hit on 2/21 and 2/22.

The fact that all 3 of my cards were hit makes me believe a vendor like Paypal or Amazon (the only places where I have all 3 of my cards on log) were hacked.

Everyone should CHANGE their password immediately to all of their online financial accounts (including ebay, paypal, and amazon), AS WELL as their email accounts. Do this PRONTO

BTW, two other carpers I know of were victimized by fraud today. One for over 3k in fraudulent charges!

Edited by Santiago

I changed my PayPal last night. To a password I use different from anyother. I also deleted my old bad card from it. Will have to check my Ebay I guess. But I imagine that PayPal would have shown up as PayPal when they tried.

I changed my PayPal last night. To a password I use different from anyother. I also deleted my old bad card from it. Will have to check my Ebay I guess. But I imagine that PayPal would have shown up as PayPal when they tried.

Not if they hacked paypal for the card #s and used them elsewhere

wow,.. my card got hit last week .. it was used in the UK on "napster'.. a charge of $39 went thru. My cc co called us and told us that they stopped all transactions as there were attempts of $5, $500,$1000,$3000 purchases ?? They credited us the $39 !!

New card on the way !

I'll check my statements ltr,.. but I don't remember making any tackle purchases in the last six months :dry:

All THREE of my cards were hit on 2/21 and 2/22.

The fact that all 3 of my cards were hit makes me believe a vendor like Paypal or Amazon (the only places where I have all 3 of my cards on log) were hacked.

I believe that if PayPal or Amazon were hacked, a LOT more people would be affected and this would be all over news already...

None of the other forums I read (or Facebook, etc) report these issues. I still believe it's related to some carp specific B&T shop we all use. This is the only common thread visible so far... Just my 2 cents.

I never knew this thread was up and running. I think it should be a sticky on the main page. 4 of us were hacked from the wild carp club of central ny within the last week. that's just the ones who have got back to me on facebook.

lookie here,,,,,knew it had to be massive, pretty sure this is us, or another ring out there doing the same chit

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/massive-credit-card-fraud-steals-200m/story?id=18409543

I believe that if PayPal or Amazon were hacked, a LOT more people would be affected and this would be all over news already...

None of the other forums I read (or Facebook, etc) report these issues. I still believe it's related to some carp specific B&T shop we all use. This is the only common thread visible so far... Just my 2 cents.

+1

Geez. Just catching up with this chain of events. I feel incredibly lucky, I just checked, I was NOT hit (so far) on either of my credit cards. And I am usually not shy of using a credit card for online purchases, although I do occasionally use Paypal, just because it's more convenient. I am very sorry to hear that so many of you are going through this. :(:(:(

I had amex hit around august last year but i dont normally use this for tackle(bct dont take it) i dont think it was related to this, fraud purchases were made in CA.Been checking other cards and ok so far thankfully. Have not ordered at resistance in quite a while, have used whacker, bct and carpkit.

Just wondering if they could have used this forum for names and addresses and if it was anything to do with that stuff we had go on in december last year when the site went haywire?

Still no misuse findings by Resistance Tackle's System Administrator and our Security Certificate for our Domain is still in place. The resistance site does not store any credit card data. All of that data is stored at the Admins domain and they are currently validating that they have not been compromised.

One Texas Forum had anglers post they were hit but never used Resistance. And with the recent posts by anglers identifying fraud charges on their cards not used to purchase tackle is another flag that this is outside of the tackle shops being the link. Still strongly recommend customers use PayPal at check out. Hopefully this all gets resolved soon. Will keep you informed of any findings on our end.

I endured credit card fraud twice in 2012...one from India, the other from the UK. India claim got refunded; UK I got a customer service call from my bank to check the validity of the charge while it was "held" and I said "no way". No doubt this was also encouraged by the infection of several Trojans on my PC and the need for better PC personal security updates on my part. New cards issued both times. December '12 renewals for Carp World and other publications from Angling Publications et al were denied until I got them unblocked w/my bank re overseas charges. My current billing statement is clean...so far, but legit global purchases now add a security-check/red tape layer to the process.

Guest THE BIG WORM

Given that there seems to be more than a coincidence here I went to remove my e-mail addresses here.......could not find it shown as it was before nor was I able to find the membership list......I hope that was a change made prior to the cc issues but if was a responce to the issues it would be nice to know the date of the change so that we can better single out the problem, and to protect members it might be best to suspend visable web addresses here on the site..

Patrick Kelly may be on to something that there may be trojan being targeted.....to CAG members from one source or another. Those that are more computer savey and protected seem to be better off than those of us with less understanding making us easier targets.......

My computer tends to freeze and hold up, and I have trouble posting only when I'm here. I just assumed it was due to the volume on some threads but I getting it it checked out .....better safe than sorry.

If it is a bot or trojan mining data it could also come in via an e-mail and there are a number of sources we all recieve e-mails and attachments from.

Like I said, I am not the most savey on this, but in reading the vendors delt with there are holes in who got hit and who they delt with for it to one source/vendor.

Guest THE BIG WORM

As a follow up I have been sent several Yahoo Warning of Account Clousure that were copy-cats....redirecting me to an unsecured sign in. I noticed the missing "Lock and upon checking it out realized the wed address was not exactly as yahoo says there's would be even though the word yahoo was viasable in the address.

The addresses here use to have the provider visable making it easy to send a site specific, direct e-mail that would get by basic spam protection and if your eyes are bad like mine....you might not notice what you should.

Having read the numerous reports of fraudulent use of credit/debit cards, I immediately checked on the use of three cards that I have in the past used on items from BCT LLC.,Resistance Tackle,Wacker Baits,and Invicta Angling and lo and behold all three have been compromised by fraudulent use, with varying amounts amounting to thousands of dollars, within the last week. Fortunately all were Visa cards and they have a policy of refunding all fraudulent payments. The cards were the only on line transactions I have used at the stores for tackle, which leads to the conclusion that the hackers have somehow gained access to one or more of them.

Just checked our login records and nothing strange there on the Admin side where you'd need to be to get any cc info. Sorry to hear to that has happened to a few of you.

We've had a crazy amount of fraud orders ourselves in the last 6 months with fraud credit cards trying to be used that drives us crazy and wastes our time.

A couple of months back had 1 that we requested a copy of a drivers license, a copy of the actual card used and a utility bill because it seemed strange and was a new customer. The card was a HSBC card so we called to verify it and according to HSBC is was not theirs even though it was approved?

We do use Pay Pal merchant system for both Pay Pal and Credit card approvals.

Guys I can confirm that carp kit back end merchant is Paypal pro merchant

No card data is stored or seen by car kit and Paypal merchant is if not the most secure way to pay for online shopping, hope the bar stewards get caught and have their nuts chopped off, you all should have 90 days to file a claim with you Cc companies, hope you all recover your losses soon

All the best

Simon

I have used Wacker, BCT and Resistance - and so far, fingers crossed, have not been hit (though i'm now checking on a daily basis) ! I would highly suspect that the root cause of this activity is coming from another source, be that a virus, screen scraper, trojan, a re-directed URL that wasn't noticed, etc. Of course, now I will have cursed myself and be beaten to death with fraudulent charges!

I would highly recommend that you ensure your virus definitions are up to date with whatever s/w you use, be that Windows Defender, Norton, McAfee et, that the s/w is actually enabled if you have it, that you do not click on "links" in emails, even from people you know, and that you are diligent in checking URL's on websites you visit. Always manually type in a website URL, rather than click on a link - especially for any site that requires you to enter credentials for identification.

My 2 pennies worth on this. It used to be 5 pennies, but with inflation, I need to cut costs by 60% !

John